A Forager's Dream

Anyone into roadkill is probably into foraging in general and these St Georges Day mushrooms are a foragers dream.  As soon as I saw these I could not resist.  Of course, when foraging fungi there are two golden rules.  First, make sure you know what you are picking, in the UK most fungi are harmless, however, quite a lot will make you feel unwell but there are a few that are deadly and one that has no antidote.  The second rule is, never take them all.  There were loads here but I just took about half a dozen which was plenty to go with the venison casserole I was cooking.
St Georges Day mushrooms are pretty easy to identify.  They generally come up around St Georges Day although this year they were late along with most things.  They are white and often irregularly shaped and have white gills with no fringe.  They smell divine when first picked but this aroma gradually dissipates with keeping.  These smelled so good I was almost drooling.  I was even tempted to eat them there and then but I had only just had breakfast.

Comments

Popular Posts