Game Pie

Of course, having a freezer full of game is only of benefit if you know what to do with it.  If you are no good at coming up with recipes by yourself then the internet is a great place to start.  My freezer was overflowing so a couple of weeks ago I decided to invite 8 of our neighbours round for dinner for which I prepared and cooked a Game Pie the recipe for which I found on the Waitrose website here Game Pie.
Photo from Waitrose web site

I did make a few changes.  I was cooking for 10 not 8 so I increased the ingredients proportionally, however, I think the original size would have been plenty for 10.  The meat I used was fallow deer, pheasant, pigeon and rabbit.  The dried mushrooms in this recipe come across as a bit strong, far stronger in flavour than the meat.  Next time I would reduce this by about a 1/3rd.  As it was, I added 100 mls of creme fraiche which took the edge off the strength of the mushrooms and made it beautifully rich.  I would add the cream now even with the reduced mushrooms.
I served this with braised red cabbage, broccoli and dauphinoise potatoes.  It went down a storm even though everyone knew it was road kill.

Comments

Popular Posts